Reading the news this morning I found that the new PS3 Slim was released. I was really excited about this, especially the fact that it has got a matt black finish.
As you can see in the image above, it looks awfully much like a STB; I am however pretty sure that it will look a look better in real life.
So, I headed over to the official website and delve a bit deeper. Comparing it to my current system (original 60gig with hardware backwards compatibility support) I don’t think that I will replace the one I have.
Some of the features (or lack thereof) include:
- Bravia® Sync™ – when connected to a Bravia TV, your PS can be controlled using the TV’s remote control and the PS will also turn off with the TV
- Vertical stand has to be bought separately
- Other operating systems are no longer supported
- 32% smaller, 36% lighter and 34% more energy efficient according to www.amazon.co.uk
- 120GB hard drive (where 1KB = 1000bytes, not the standard 1024)
- 2 USB ports
- No memory card readers
- No mention of backwards compatibility with PS1/2 games
Being released in September 2009, just in time for Christmas, it would make the perfect gift. Amazon is taking pre-orders (here) but there seems to be no bundles available as yet.
Please share your thoughts on the new PS3 Slim